Bamberg Board of Public Works encourages Customers to find efficient ways to save Energy. By saving energy and reducing waste, we can maximize our potential with one the most precious commodities we have…Energy!
Here are some simple tips to reduce Energy Usage or Waste and in turn reduce your Bill!
- Replace older, drafty windows.
- Replace older appliances with higher-efficiency new ones.
- Insulate your water heater and pipes. Set your water heater to 120 degrees.
- Set your thermostat to 68 degrees or lower in the winter. Each degree lower can lessen your heating bill. Set your thermostat to 78 degrees or higher in the summertime. We understand…these temperatures are likely not in most people’s comfort range. But be aware that Energy cost can increase by 5% per degree on your thermostat.
- Use a programmable thermostat to regulate the temperature.
- Open curtains and blinds on sunny days and use nature's original source of heat and light!
- Repair leaking faucets that may drip hot water.
- Run the dishwasher only when it's full.
- Wash only full loads of clothes in cold water.
- Close the Refrigerator Door. Every time it’s opened, up to 30% of the cool air escapes. Keep it closed as much as possible.
- Appliances such as Refrigerators and Hot Water Heaters use energy regardless of whether you are home or away. Many electronics use energy when they are “off” as well.
- Clean your lint filter after every laundry dryer load. And ensure the vent hose is clear of blockages. A clogged vent or line will reduce dryer efficiency and take longer costing money.
- Use the “no heat” setting on your dishwasher. Heat drying is not necessary after a hot wash cycle. By keeping it off, you save energy.
- Air escaping your house or conversely coming into your home through drafty windows or doors will have a large impact on your Heating/Cooling Bill. Close the damper on your fireplace in the wintertime when not in use.
- Let the ceiling fans work for you! In the wintertime, reversing the blades/rotation pushes warm air down. Try this instead of changing the thermostat to save energy.
- While on vacation, set the thermostats to a higher setting while gone.
As we set forth earlier, place A/C at 78 degrees during Warmer Seasons.
You may think since we sell energy; we want you to use energy and we do!! But we also care deeply about Energy Conservation. It’s absolutely vital to our sustainability as an energy sector. During extreme events such as Winter Storms or Triple Digit Heat Waves, energy supply can be in high demand and short supply. In parts of our country, Transmission suppliers have had to ration energy to end users because of shortage known as “Brown Outs” or “Rolling Brown Outs”. Therefore, it’s imperative that we think about our individual rolls we play in energy conservation. Doing your part helps!
Please visit EnergySaver.SC.gov to get more energy saving tips and tools!